Thursday, November 30, 2006

if i ate turkey, i may have been too tired to care

November 30th, 2006

There’s no excuse to pay big bucks for a full-page ad in the New York Times that has a spelling or grammatical error. There’s really no excuse to pay for a full-page ad that only has five words and still has a grammatical error.

I was sitting at my desk, minding my own business, when the sales department manager popped up (literally, she crouches in front of my cube wall and “pops” up). She has a section from the NYT that she’s waving around. “What’s wrong with this picture?” she asks.

So I take a look. Hmmmm, well, there’s a pilgrim hat. It appears to be an ad for Thanksgiving shows on the History Channel. “Well,” I start, “the actual pilgrims never wore those hats…wait a minute...does that say ‘thier’? Oh my God, it does.” In 48pt type.

C’mon people! Not only should the copywriter, designer, and art director at the History Channel have caught this, the NYT should have caught this. The New York Times should not have allowed that to go to press. I, with my puny minor in Journalism, at least know that much.

Not to be down on History, because History has taught us many things...

In fact here are some of the things that History has taught us recently:

Some people like to tow their trailers out to the woods and look for Sasquatch, avoid those people.

If you are searching for the antichrist, you should look for: “A brilliant, enigmatic public figure who transforms the world for good--for a while.” (as per their web site and episode description)

The USS Salt Lake City has the best food of any nuclear submarine.


It was a sad day for History. Hopefully we will be able to learn from this experience, and History will not repeat itself…

No comments: